How do I become an S-corporation?

by | Jun 28, 2018 | Blog, Guides, S-Corp | 0 comments

S-corporations (“S-corps”) is the technical term for the federal tax election, aka IRS Form 2553, and are named after their place in the IRS code, subchapter “S.” S-corps are generally limited to two specific business entity types, a limited liability company (“LLC or LLP”) or an [old fashioned] incorporated company (“Inc.”). Once a company has been formed or incorporated, a Form 2553 is completed and offered to the IRS in hopes of acceptance (and sometimes requiring a blood sacrifice!). What this means in practice (at least for & SC) are a few actions to take in your home state before the magic of status is granted.


Step One….choosing a name and checking with the State

The first step in forming a business is to incorporate a company or form an LLC to secure the business name within your state. Many states (like or SC) allow you to incorporate an entity yourself or you can use a local attorney (good option). For the DIY options, there are a few nationally reputable options, a company like Legal Zoom (expensive DIY option) or ParCorp Services (a more cost-efficient DIY route). For the novice business owner or those businesses that are starting with multiple owners, we highly encourage the use of an attorney to the process of setting up an LLC or Inc. For single owners or those who can easily navigate bureaucracy, we recommend either DIY option depending on your budget. and SC also offer expedited incorporation services which greatly reduce the time it takes to make the company official. It also pays to search your state’s Secretary of State (or equivalent agency) for names to make sure you will be able to actually incorporate/from the company under the name you choose.

Step Two… Obtain an EIN

Once the state has accepted your business (great, now you can be served and sued!) and the address listed on your company has been added to the national junk mail listing, there are only two more steps until status. Using the name that you incorporated, you now have to obtain a Federal Identification Number, which will register you with the IRS. This can be accomplished with a phone call, fax, or online directly with the IRS. We recommend that most business owners use someone who is knowledgeable about the EIN process, like an attorney or experienced CPA (like GP CPA) to obtain the EIN to make sure it is correctly setup. An incorrect answer to any one of the EIN application questions could have long-reaching ramifications. Once you have an EIN (aka the SS-4) for your business, it is probably a good idea to register with your state for payroll and/or sales taxes. We have heard that it is kind of hard to run payroll or pay sales taxes without registering with the state first!

Step Three….Open a bank account

The last step needed to officially welcome your company into real life is to open a company bank account. The two things that you must have, besides all kinds of personal identification, is the company’s EIN (Form SS-4 is the letter you will receive from the IRS officially conveying your EIN, keep forever!) and the incorporation information. Certain banks may require more detailed applications than others prior to allowing you to open an account, so it never hurts to ask the bank ahead of the initial visit to prevent any surprises.

Step Four….Contact GP CPA

If you have taken the time to read all of the way down to this point, then you are ready to contact the advisors at GP CPA to take the next step for your business, especially if that business is not yet an and you would like it to be. We have assisted hundreds of company’s become S-corporations and can start the process for your company as soon as you contact us. For a little more info on how the will benefit you, check this out.

Check out our next article about S-Corporation:

What are S-corp distributions?

Let’s start this conversation by assuming the reader is already an S-corp shareholder. If not, get caught up on S-corps, HERE. For those on their second rodeo, S-corp distributions are often misunderstood, kind of like sharks. In the same way that a shark can only...

S-corporations – What’s not to love?

The majority of GP CPA’s clients own and operate S-corporations (“S-corp”), as our firm specializes in the administration, accounting, and taxation that is unique to this type of business entity. Most types of businesses can be an S-corp and from our perspective, the...

Check out our next article about S-Corporation


H. Johns
H. Johns
21:58 13 Jul 19
This firm is absolutely the best that I've dealt with when it comes to CPAs and financial advice. I'd gone to another CPA in the area for help with my small business during tax time, they stopped communicating and I was left with important documentation not filed and a lot of anxiety around what to do. My appointment with Justin was set up quickly and I was in within a couple days to sit down with him. When you first meet him, you get the impression that he's incredibly intelligent and knows what he's talking about. He took the time to me through each and every step that I needed to take to move forward and actually ended up saving me money. I am so grateful to him for his knowledge and professionalism. Total life saver! If you're a small business owner, you should not be taking your time, money or business anywhere else but GP CPA and their crew 🙂read more
Tina Simmons
Tina Simmons
13:38 17 May 19
This team is dedicated to their clients and committed to understanding your business and sharing their knowledge to help you succeed. I love working with these folks, they take the worry and uncertainty out of accounting and taxes!read more
Bravo4 Autowerks
Bravo4 Autowerks
12:55 08 May 19
Gary and his team have been fantastic for me and my business. They respond well to all my questions, are very helpful and of course keep my financials in order. Highly more
Queen City Newborn Care
Queen City Newborn Care
15:57 02 Apr 19
I was drowning before I met Justin. He totally transformed how I run my small business and has gotten me organized in ways I didn't even know were possible. I am so grateful for his advice and suggestions! This company is worth every more
Dennis Bloomberg
Dennis Bloomberg
16:01 26 Mar 19
Unfortunately, I found GMP when my mother passed. She had a trust set up and I had no experience with one. I received excellent advice prior to filing taxes, that allow for the transfer of assets with little tax implication. The tax process was simple for me, Justin took over once he had details and cleared up all question from filing our taxes. Thank you for a job well done!read more
Natalie Knight
Natalie Knight
15:35 21 Nov 18
Prusiensky CPA is up to date on technology. They handcraft a platform that works best for your company's accounting services. We really appreciate how hands on and quick their team is when replaying to any type of correspondence. Simply put, they care and want your company to more
Ashlyn Lelej
Ashlyn Lelej
14:39 21 Nov 18
I highly recommend Justin at Prusiensky, CPA for all of your accounting and tax needs. I've been a client for over two years, and have been consistently impressed with their dedication to helping my business grow and be financially successful. His advice is invaluable. Thank you!read more
Bobby Nguyen
Bobby Nguyen
22:23 20 Nov 18
My partner and I started our very first small business last year. Justin has been a blessing to us. Being new at all of this, we didn’t understand much of how business taxes work. Justin explained and answer all of questions that we have. He took care of everything for us throughout the year and have made life so much easier for us. I couldn’t have asked for a better CPA. Highly recommended!read more
Next Reviews
S-corporations - What’s not to love?
Sales Tax in NC: The Impact of the Latest Decision of the Supreme Court
How would like to contact us?